Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I'm legally allowed to drive!

This morning I became an official member of the American driving public. No I didn't buy I car, I passed my driving test. I was a bit nervous on account of having failed my Australian Ps the first time round. First I had a 14 question computer exam. I got two questions wrong the first was "What percentage of fatal accidents involve alcohol? a) 60%, b) 50% or c) 40%. I'd thought it was 40, but didn't think they'd make the correct answer the lowest, so guessed 60. It was actually 40. Not sure how knowing this makes me a better driver. Is the difference between 40 and 50% statistically significant anyway?

I was most nervous about the actual driving part of the test. Which began with me going to the passenger door instead of the driver's. You don't fail for that though. I made a big show of then adjusting every mirror, even though I'd already done it before I got there. The drive was easy, just did a big block. Had to stop on a quiet street and do a three point turn. When we got back the tester asked me if I was good at parking. I said 'sure, I just don't LIKE doing it.' He didn't have a sense of humour. He asked me to parallel park in a spot that had no cars either side. It is actually tricky cos you don't know where the lines are and if it was real life you would drive in forwards anyway. I asked him if he would like to get out and pretend to be a car but he didn't find that humourous either. So the park went fine. I had been worried that I would have to reverse into a 90 degree park which is what they usually get you to do. I'd been practicing heaps but then didn't even need to do it. So passed with flying colours except once he reckoned I didn't use a blinker.

Dad had advised me to wink at the instructor (such faith in my driving skills) but it wasn't necessary. I had about 4 blokes in the office wanting me to teach them to say 'No worries mate' and how to pronounce 'sheila'. Apparently Australians do a lot of infomercials here.

So now I have 6 days before Pete gets back to get the car I want before he can stop me!

It has been a busy week prior to all this car business. My PhD supervisor Stuart and his wife Trish came to stay last week. It was great fun. I didn't realise how much I missed having someone else living in my house. Stuart and I worked on some papers from my PhD which seem to be shaping up well. We are hopeful the first two will make it through round 2 with the reviewers and we are working on the third. The third may be chopped into two papers, depending on what else we come up with. Stuart and I also discussed my new project on permanent El Nino and have come up with some ideas about how to approach it. Poor Trish had to sit through our non-stop work chatter. I wish it had been Pete so I could get revenge for all the teacher-talk I've sat through! Trish made us pizza from real pizza dough, not the ready made bases from the supermarket. I will have to try doing it myself. We also went to a great Japanese restaurant which I have probably mentioned before. It is called Miyas and has crazy sushi rolls with fillings like cranberry, goats cheese, banana and so on. It is my favourite place to eat but not usually in my budget (Yale shouted that one). It was also refreshing to hear some good old Australian cynicism about politics. People don't really bag George Bush here, not like we do.

Saturday night I went to a night club for Cathy's birthday. Cathy is one of my workmates. I haven't been out dancing for a long time. I'm getting old. Had a ball. There were a bunch of hens nights on so I took it upon myself to try and hook up some of my single male friends with them. I did succeed in getting one guy to do a shot out of a bride-to-be's belly button (how is that for alliteration). At one point I was chatting to a girl about my two mates. She said to me "You have such a cute accent, its awesome. I'd wouldn't mind %^&$ing you!" (Not my objective for the evening, but it sucks being married sometimes!)

Speaking of being married, Pete is back on Monday and so my married singledom ends. I think it has been very good for me learning to live alone - I haven't done it much. I can't wait till he gets back though!!! At least when he is around a packet of saltines (dry biscuits) and a bowl of ice cream is not considered dinner. I haven't resorted to eating the icecream straight from the tub which would be true Bridget Jones singledom.

This weekend Billy Kessler is visiting - he is an excellent oceanographer from Seattle. I also have to scrub the apartment so Pete thinks that it's always that clean when he isn't around.

More later - post Pete arrival. At least when he is back I'll be able to add photos to this blog.
See ya

No comments: